Cinnamon Plantation, Care, Process, Income
You might excited to know more about this cinnamon cultivation in india, Cinnamon growing conditions, how much we can grow in 1 acre, how much income, how much cost for 1 KG Cinnamon quills and Cinnamon oil, and other expenses including their maintenance like Cinnamon plant’s care, Cinnamon plants pruning and harvesting process of Cinnamon. No issue will cover this step by steps as below
Cinnamon, a spice that is widely used in cooking and baking, comes from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cinnamomum. Here are some interesting facts about cinnamon plantation or farming:
- Cinnamon trees are typically grown in tropical regions such as Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and India. They require warm and humid climates with plenty of rainfall.
- The cinnamon tree can grow up to 50 feet tall, but they are usually pruned to around 6-8 feet to make harvesting easier.
- Cinnamon is harvested from the inner bark of the tree. The bark is carefully peeled off in long strips and then left to dry in the sun.
- The thin inner bark is then carefully removed from the outer bark to create the cinnamon sticks we see in stores.
- Cinnamon has been highly valued for centuries and was once considered more valuable than gold. It was traded extensively in ancient times along the famous “spice routes.”
- Cinnamon has many health benefits and is said to help regulate blood sugar levels and improve brain function.
- In addition to its use in cooking, cinnamon is also used in the production of perfumes, soaps, and other cosmetic products.
- Cinnamon trees can take up to two years to produce their first harvest of bark, but they can continue to produce bark for up to 30 years.
- The cultivation of cinnamon is labor-intensive, as the trees need to be carefully tended and harvested by hand.
- Cinnamon has different varieties, with the most popular ones being Ceylon cinnamon (also known as true cinnamon) and Cassia cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon is a cheaper alternative to Ceylon cinnamon and is often used in commercial spice blends, but it has higher levels of coumarin, a compound that can be toxic in large doses
Everyone know this amazing spice plant can be grown home gardens and also can be grown as commercial but climatic condition is very important if you are thinking about as business in commercial based because lots of information need to be understand and research before proceeding as this plants is big and grown for log period as well , its not crop where you can change in between.
Before start explaining let me guys aware about
What is Indian local names of Cinnamon
- Hindi and Marathi = Dalchini
- Telugu = Dalchinachekka
- Malayalam = Karuvapatta
- Kannada = Chakke or Lavana Patte
If you think about Commercial varieties for cinnamon cultivation, Cinnamon which is split into two Categories. one is Ceylon Cinnamon and 2nd is Cassia Cinnamon. There many other sub varieties of Ceylon Cinnamon and Cassia Cinnamon. but in commercial farming there is only one variety of Ceylon Cinnamon(dalchini) and other varieties of Cassia Cinnamon. Rest of the other varieties are Consider as wild Cinnamon which is not good in quality hence its not suitable for human consumption
Indian Commercial varieties of Cinnamon
Zeylanicum ,Konkan Tej , Burmanni, Navashree, Yercaud , and Nithyashree are some of the commercially in India which is part of Ceylon Cinnamon Burmanni is known as Cassia Cinnamon
cultivated species of cinnamon. Zeylanicum variety is the best selection for farming as it gives high regeneration capacity , high yield (average 65 kg yield in 1 acre for the first 3 years), also high bark oil recovery (48%). with a very good cinnamaldehyde content 70%, bark oleoresin 8.5%, and leaf oil 2.80%. Multiple thin layers of slivers of Cinnamon bark rolled into looks like Cigar stick 3 – 6 inches long. Zeylanicum is the best recommended and preferred type for all cinnamon-growing regions in India.
Introduction to Cinnamon (Dalchini)
Cinnamon Came from “Lauraceae” family and its botanical scientifically name is “Cinnamomum verum”. In some place its also knows as sweet wood. This tree can reach up to a height of 20 to 45 feet on full mature growth. It has very good demand in local market as well as in the international markets.Cinnamon oldest spices plants and it’s commercially cultivated in many other countries like India, SriLanka,Indonesia and in India many of the states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka south regions cinnamon cultivation is mostly naturally seen in the forests area like the Western Ghats of India. This dried inner bark of Cinnamon is widely used as a spice in kitchen and medicinal purpose and
This is very famous spice due their health benefits and some of the cinnamon health benefits is
- full of antioxidants values
- Reduced the risk of heart disease
- Cinnamon has Short-term reduction in blood pressure
- Cinnamon has reach value of anti Inflammatory Properties
- Cinnamon has a strong anti-diabetic effect
- Cinnamon has moderate effect in improving glycaemic control and supporting the management of type 2 diabetes
- Cinnamon spice is one of the most used ingredients in Indian cooking always.
- Cinnamon extract has been used to alleviate gastrointestinal problems (Digestive discomfort)
Soil requirement for Cinnamon Plantation
Cinnamon can grown in a different type of soils, Cinnamon cultivation requires well-drained soils for higher yields and good quality.
Climatic condition required for cinnamon cultivation
Cinnamon cultivation in india Mostly it doesn’t required any climate condition but for commercial purpose you should remember this point for high yield and good quality bark and leaf oil Cinnamon grown well yearly rainfall of 250-300 cm is suitable for cinnamon cultivation in india. Cinnamon requires a humid and hot climate and an average temperature of 29°C are ideally suitable for cultivation.
Type of Cinnamon Propagation
- It is propagated through seed and
- stick cuttings
Propagated through seed
cinnamon plantation in india Southern and Western Ghats, (dalchini)cinnamon flowering mostly occurred in start of January month and its took 5-6 month to convert into fruit somewhere around June -July to August -Sep month later fruits are collected from the cinnamon tree, after fruit collected seeds are removed and cleaned. next step sees are sow in plastic bags or any other small container with a mixture of Organic nutrients and small amount of sand to maintain water drain quality. within 25 days seeds will start germinating but you will have take care of plant up to 6 month at least
Plantation procedure of Cinnamon cultivation
- For cinnamon plants Dig should be 1.5 feet deep and space should be maintain 7 feet between two plant and at least (row to row)
- Dig should be filled with organic compost before plantation for better growth
- Monsoon season (June to July) is the best period for the plantation cinnamon.
- Also make sure while planting Plant directly in spot ,plant age should be more than 9-10 months old.
- After plantation of plant make sure minimums 4-5 month partial shade can be made as its help in the initial stages of cultivation and beneficial for the healthy and rapid growth of cinnamon plants.
Fertilizers should be applied in 2 equal quantity doses in April to June and August to October. For the first year a fertilizer dose of 15 grams Nitrogen , 12 grams Phosphorus Pentoxide and 20 grams Potassium oxide.You can increase gradually doses for grown-up plants of 8 years and above
Weed Control and Water requirement of Cinnamon plants
Weed removal should be done two times in a year,first during the rainy season (June-July) and second ween removal after monsoon (October- November) Water requirement for Cinnamon plants has to be given during summer months thrice in a week and quantity depends upon the soil moisture and plants growth.
Pruning of Cinnamon Plants(dalchini plant)
cinnamon cultivation or Cinnamon plants doesn’t required too much pruning. You just have remove branches to maintain a systematic shape, also you have to remove damaged branches for their growth.
Maintain height of the cinnamon trees to the desired height specifically for a commercial plantation so as to manage the plantation more effectively.
2.5 to 3.5- year-old plants are copped before monsoon around June to July to a height of about 20 cm from the stump so that new bunch of side shoots is produced on main stump let the grow up to the height of 6-7 feet which is suitable for peeling crop up in a period of about 3 years. after hat you can do the regular yearly peeling carried out from 5th year, depending upon stump development of peeler new shoots.
Harvesting procedure of cinnamon cultivation
Harvesting is depends on the Side shoots having finger thickness and brown color which is ideal for bark extraction and Sep to Nov is the best time for harvesting shoots , main thing need to remember that if bark separates easily, then cutting has to be done immediately.once they reached around 2 years old, remember peeling must not more than 1 cm and height of bark is depend of steps size and general height should be 3 feet to 6 feet. Cinnamon bark is only produced from stems that are between 1.5 cm and 4 cm in diameter
Yield of cinnamon cultivation in india and Income
Cinnamon cultivation in india Yield is depends on the type of variety and age which you chooses. earning will be start from after 2 years, Generally the calculation which i am going to tell you as below
3 year plants will produced around 150 kg quills per acre (cinnamon stick)
5 year plants will produced around 225 kg quills per acre
10 year plants will produced around 400 kg quills per acre
Apart from this, one ton of cinnamon leafs produced 1200 ml of oil per year.
After 2-3 year you will start earning of Rs.
Per Kg Price in market in minimum Rs.400 to Rs.500 KG and 15 ML Pure Cinnamon Oil price is around Rs.800 ( Rs.60 per 1 ML)
Apart from this around 250 to 270 tree per acre and will get around 1 tonne dried cinnamon leaf which is cost almost 55-60 RS per Kg
So total 1000Kg leaf *Rs55 per kg= Rs.55000 from only leaf selling..
if we could take average Rs.450 Per Kg will get first earning after 3 years is
150 KG x Rs.450 = Rs.67500 Plus
1200 ML x 60 = Rs. 72000
Total Profit would be around Rs. 1,40,000 if we exclude expenses 40 K then net profit would be 1 Lac per acre..i know its not to much but if you could plant these tree scrounging your farm or in fence its give the extra income which reduced the other extra expenses.
Total income from cinnamon
100000+55000= 155000 net profit from cinnamon
As you already know that this cinnamon having different type of health benefits.therefore it is very easy to market to
- Medical companies
- Local markets.
- Ayurveda store
- Hotel or restaurants
Cinnamon Plantation More details
Top 10 Cinnamon Producing Countries
|Top Ten Cinnamon Producing Countries|
|Rank||Area||Production (In $1000)||Production (tones)|
|8||Sao Tome and Principe||76||55|
Unique Interesting fact of Cinnamon cultivation in India:
- Cinnamon plants can be grown from stick or branch cuttings
- Cinnamon is grown in home up to 6 -7 feet where our side house garden can be grown up to 40 feet
- Cinnamon leaf having size of 6 to 7 inches long
- Cinnamon bark can be harvested from branches of 2.5 years Old plant
- Top producers of Cinnamon country is Sri Lanka in the world
- Cinnamon can be easily grown in western countries like the USA, Brazil, and Argentina
if you can utilize the Farming technique where you can minimize the cost of expenses and get other income so that utilization of our free space and other thing where we can convert them into profit.
read more About Mahogany Plantation and Profits
11 thoughts on “Cinnamon Cultivation, Care, Process, Income”
Comments are closed.